Spiritual waters are solutions of fragrant essential oils combined with distilled water and some degree of perfumer’s alcohol. By far, the most popular of spiritual waters in the various magickal traditions is Florida water.
Florida water dates back to 1855 sharing the same citrus base as Cologne water, but has the addition of sweet orange and spicy notes, including lavender and clove. This spiritual water is popular among South American shamen, where it is believed that the plant spirits of the Amazon love sweet-smelling perfumes.
In Hoodoo, Florida Water is used in spiritual cleansings and home protection. It can be worn on the body, used as an ingredient in magical works or by itself as a cologne, put in the bath water and misted in the environment to purify it. In fact, there are so many ways Florida Water can be used it is no wonder it remains a favorite spiritual water among practitioners. Thus, one way to achieve protection from malevolent spirits is to wear sweet scents and perfumes such as Florida water as a guard against evil.
Here are a some other ways to utilize Florida water in everyday use:
- Anti-bacterial agent
- cleansing crystals, candles, new items, personal space, jewelry, etc.
- Wall washing
- Add to mob water
- Add to laundry wash
- Add to foot baths
- Protection cologne
- Repel negativity (Mist in the environment to repel negative energy and negative spirits)
- Rubdown for the body( Beneficial, stimulating effect similar to alcohol rubs but much more pleasant due to its aromatherapeutic quality)
- Anti-anxiety relief (For high anxiety it can be applied to the forehead providing relief for nervous tension.
- Holy water (Pray the 23rd Psalm over it and use in place of Holy Water)